I suggest Countable ...

Holding our Representatives Accountable

It's always frustrating when our representatives vote counter to our requests. But who knows, maybe we are simply the minority and representative's vote reflects the majority.

Or maybe our representative's vote is the result of toeing the party line. Or maybe our representative's vote is the result of a recent phone call from major campaign contributor. Or maybe our representative's vote is the result of a recent lunch with their future employers on K street.

The point is, WE DONT KNOW.

Countable, help us hold our representatives accountable. Show us how many people in (let's say) Nevada have asked Sen. Reid to vote yea or nay on any given bill. Give us the tools we need to recognize whether or not our representatives are doing their jobs (representing us).

This is a tool all citizens should be excited about. With it, lobbyists will take a back seat to the American people. Help us Countable, we need you.

(Specifically, under the "ME" tab, you could list how the lawmaker voted along with how the lawmakers constituents voted. )

49 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  naominaomi responded  · 

Great suggestion! I will definitely forward it along for the team to review. Thank you so much for the feedback.

12 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ValerieValerie commented  · 

Is it possible to simply link reps' phone numbers? Phone calls are more effective than emails

• Henry JacksonHenry Jackson commented  · 

I concur with this request. I can be patient. I know how long coding can take.

• Anonymous commented  · 

What is taking so long, this has been under consideration for months!

• Anonymous commented  · 

How long is this gonna be under review? You guy aren't playing us are you?

• Ethan WheelerEthan Wheeler commented  · 

Yes! My #1 request would be to see the polling information on how the constituents of a particular representative voted for each issue.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I love the awareness it brings. Every time I get a canned response from an elected representative that counters my stance on the issue, it reminds me to make sure I don't blindly vote for the incumbent next time.

• MiriMiri commented  · 

One of the things I believe that politicians fear is social media. Use it as something other than a mindless chatter. Even though people complain it can become a place to educate, discuss and reveal what your politicians are up to.

• Walker T Mixon, seniorWalker T Mixon, senior commented  · 

Why is it ok with the media when Democrats lie to the American people, but the media says the country will not survive if a Republican does and has to resign and must quit and they go to other Republicans and say they must condemn the one that lied and they try to tie all Republicans to the lie. Yet Democrats lie on purpose like you will save $2500 on health care, they lie about the Bengazi attacks and much more and the media says it's a right wing conspiracy trying to hurt these angels disguised as Democrats. It's disgusting. The Main Stream media are a part of the democrats

• BartAdminBart (Founder & CEO, Countable) commented  · 

This is an important discussion of a very critical issue. I wish Countable alone would be sufficient to hold our representatives accounts - that sending a message to our lawmakers would be sufficient. It's going to take a lot more work on our part to achieve this.

Here's a few ideas - what are yours?

- After you've sent a message to your lawmaker and some time has passed - give them a call and follow up.

- If they send you a response that you disagree with, tell them that - either over email, through Countable or through a call

- Make sure to mention that you're watching how they vote in your correspondence and that Countable keeps you updated

- Finally, leverage social media - after you vote - share it to Twitter or Facebook that you have done so - make them know that you are watching...

• €Ρ]V[οnrοε€Ρ]V[οnrοε commented  · 

Regularly, I am not represented by my Representative nor do they seem to respond to correspondence sent to them. What is my recourse when I do not even have the information or tools to progress? With this kind of information, I could begin recall proceedings if the violation is egregious or actively campaign against a popular viewpoint if I am truly in the minority…!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base