I suggest Countable ...

Conservative - Liberal Meter on my votes

Show me how Conservative or Liberal I am based on my votes. Show me based on overall votes and then by category. Also show my reps and senators the same way.

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  BartBart responded  · 

Great idea.

How do you think we should calculate it?

For example – we could base it on how often you vote like a particular “liberal” or “conservative”.

Would that get at it?

Would you like to see it across all of the bills you’ve voted on or just particular issues?

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

For conservatives you could measure based on the percentage in agreement with senator Mike Lee and rep Dave Bratt. Both have 100% score at conservative review

• JaredJared commented  · 

This kind of thing leads don the road to Facebook/mob mentality viewpoints- voting based upon what others lime you think rather than reading the issue, thinking for yourself, and making a decision. At this point, I do it feel like anything we write is paid ttention to by our Representatives or Senators anyway but, should they at some point, it could also lead them to only pay attention to those opinions consistent with their party, not with the majority of the population (which is what they are supposed to actually represent).

• Anonymous commented  · 

I wouldn't want to have anyone swayed just by being labeled something - but it might be a nice little piece of information they could opt in to see - instead of giving it to them up front. They would need to navigate to get there - and they couldn't get there until they had 'voted' on a certain threshold of an amount of issues.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Be sure not to allow ideology to confine people by labeling them to republican or democrat party lines. There is more then simply being conservative or liberal. Example a classical liberal acts like a conservative in many regard and a liberal but the reasoning of a classical liberal is different. Be sure to capture the opinions of 3rd parties to encourage people to see if their beliefs might be more alined with groups outside the simple two-party system

• william kuhnwilliam kuhn commented  · 

I already know that I am very conservative so this feature does not interest me. Thank you. Bill Kuhn

• EJPEJP commented  · 

This is an intriguing idea, however I strongly agree that it should be OPTIONAL to show it to others or not. Let it be something that we can see concerning ourselves, but that we can choose to either keep private or make public. I personally wouldn't want to show it publicly, for fear that people would then only consider my opinion through their bias towards or against a political party. I want my opinions here to be heard with an open mind, not by someone who thinks they already know all there is to know about me based on my political leanings. In addition, I think this could cause people to voice their opinions solely by joining the bandwagon of the party they support, not by the actual content of each bill (more so than people already do). Neat idea, but offer the option not to present it publicly.

• ShawnShawn commented  · 

If this feature is added, it would be nice to have it optional. Turn on "political lean" or turn it off.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I strongly do not want this. It could encouraged less voting based on party

• Anonymous commented  · 

I think of this more like the Buzzfeed-like quizzes, but based on my own historic votes - it'd be nice to know how I lean, because I actually don't know, and I like that this app doesn't position the choices on an issues as liberal or conservative or independent.

It'd also be nice to see which specific votes make my reps and senator lean a particular way.

• JoshJosh commented  · 

I strongly believe that this feature would only serve to encourage the mindless toeing of party lines we'll soon be seeing in the upcoming presidential election. I would not use this app if it added this feature.

• Anonymous commented  · 

NO. It shouldn't matter if democrats or republicans support or oppose a bill. Read the bill and make your OWN decision .. Don't rely on party politics to get in the way. That's what is amazing about this app ... We are able to make our own decisions and inform our representatives about what we think. Do NOT include this feature!

Feedback and Knowledge Base