I suggest Countable ...

Countable for our Representatives

Is there an easy way for a representative to see how members of his or her district have voted on a bill? If not, I think this ties in with seeing how other users of Countable have voted.

17 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DavidDavid shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    planned  ·  BartBart responded  · 

Not yet – we’ll be adding metrics like that to Countable soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

This is very important. It gives the media something to write about. Info wants to be free.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It's always frustrating when our representatives vote counter to our requests. But who knows, maybe we are simply the minority and representative's vote reflects the majority.

Or maybe our representative's vote is the result of toeing the party line. Or maybe our representative's vote is the result of a recent phone call from major campaign contributor. Or maybe our representative's vote is the result of a recent lunch with their future employers on K street.

The point is, WE DONT KNOW.

Countable, help us hold our representatives accountable. Show us how many people in (let's say) Nevada have asked Sen. Reid to vote yea or nay on any given bill. Give us the tools we need to recognize whether or not our representatives are doing their jobs (representing us).

This is a tool all citizens should be excited about. With it, lobbyists will take a back seat to the American people. Help us Countable, we need you.

(Specifically, under the "ME" tab, you could list how the lawmaker voted along with how the lawmakers constituents voted. )

• MattMatt commented  · 

Will the Representatives see the most highly endorsed opinions separate from yea/nay votes? There are bills where I might sympathize with the intent of a bill and want to vote "yea", but it's such bad legislation that I endorse the opinions of predominantly "nay" voters.

For example, the bill to grow hemp for industrial purposes. Sure, I can't see the harm in that. But most "nay" voters point out what a waste of enforcement resources, and why don't we just legalize weed and be done with it. I agree with the reasoning of the nay voters and endorse some of them, but I don't want to vote against hemp growing either.

In cases like that, I may not vote and hope that representatives will read endorsed opinions as much as they look at yes/no voting.

Feedback and Knowledge Base