I suggest Countable ...

Politicians ignoring votes

I have noticed a disturbing pattern with my senator ,when I use Countable to communicate a vote that she seems to agree with I get a nice canned thank you, however when I take a position opposed to where she seems to be ideologically I get a response that basically tells me to ho to her website add a bunch of contact info and prove that I am a constituent (see attached below). This appears to be a way of trying to ignore dissenting opinions. Has anyone else experienced this and how do we bring this practice to light?

"Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. I appreciate hearing from you about the important issues facing our nation, and will certainly keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues in the Senate. Due to the high volume of incoming emails, I am only able to respond to inquiries from constituents in Washington State. If you are a Washington state resident receiving this message, please fill out a webform at http://cantwell.senate.gov/contact/index.cfm with your correct information. I encourage non-Washington residents to contact your Senators or Members of Congress, and I thank you again for taking the time to write."

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sterling FosterSterling Foster shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  BartBart responded  · 

We’ve just launched a new feature that should help with this. It’s called vote alerts. After a vote happens in Congress on a bill you’ve voted on you’ll get a notification on your iOS device (soon web and android) that tells you the result and gives you an opportunity to “boo” or “applaud” your Reps.

This will, for the first time, make votes directly accountable to users.

Let us know what you think.

Thanks.

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

I registered directly with my MoC before I registered with countable. I am here not to be counted but to stay up with what comes before Congress. When we let outside services, even one as nice as this to give poll numbers and become experts on how we are likely to vote, we hand our vote over to a third party. Before the election even gets going the pundits are calling it. Also, I lose the opportunity to flood their office with information which keeps them from causing more damage, if I disagree with their stand. Within the age of electronics cheating a little bit and know which way the win blows allows parties to win the electorals without the will of the people behind them--twice.

• william kuhnwilliam kuhn commented  · 

Excellent idea. Can't wait until its available on the web.

Feedback and Knowledge Base